Blessing

What a blessing!

Don’t you hope that’s something folks say about you? There are certain people that enter our world and they are blessing every moment we are around them. They find ways to be helpful. They offer encouraging words at just the right moment. When something needs to be done, they do it — they don’t wait to be asked. When someone needs assistance, they step up and do it cheerfully. Some people are blessings.

But aren’t we all supposed to be? Isn’t this the heart of our spiritual DNA? In my Heartlight.org article this week on blessing, I talk about the principle of being a blessing as part of our spiritual DNA going all the way back to Abraham. One of the most important ways we can be generous with others is to share our blessings in Jesus. Peter puts it this way:

Through thick and thin, keep your hearts at attention, in adoration before Christ, your Master. Be ready to speak up and tell anyone who asks why you’re living the way you are, and always with the utmost courtesy (1 Peter 3:15 MSG).

This is called (in other translations) sharing our hope.

Why do you think it is so hard for us to be generous?

• Who is someone you know that is generous?
  • What do you most appreciate about them?
  • How can you be more like them?

Why do we not perceive sharing Jesus as a work of generosity?

• Why not send them a note and thank them for being generous?
  • What blessings do you have in your life because of Jesus?
  • Who is in your life because of your shared faith in Jesus?
  • When is the last time you shared these blessings you have in Jesus with others?

Read 1 Peter 3:15 and notice how sharing good news is about sharing with others the reason we have hope in Jesus.

• Take a few minutes and write a paragraph giving the reason for your hope in Jesus.
  • Pray that the Lord will give you an opportunity to share it with someone this week as an act of generosity!

Finally, I’m working with something new that I’d like to incorporate into my blog. I’d love to get you to share in the poll below. Thanks!

February 24th, 2010 at 12:01 am

Posted in Over My Shoulder

6 Responses to 'Blessing'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Blessing'.

1. My thoughts weren’t listed in your choices, I think we don’t understand that sharing Jesus to others mostly looks like doing things for them not telling them about Him. That may come with time but it may not and that’s ok, we should still serve and in that way we’re sharing Jesus.

Steve

24 Feb 10 at 5:49 am

2. Boy did this message hit me today. I have been so caught up in my own self-pity this week that I have just been angry. I just realized this morning that I have been angry because I give and give to some people, but they don’t reciprocate. They never help me in my hour of need, include me or even show their appreciation. I have forgotten the most important thing of serving – to give and let God receive the glory. God will bless me and not others. Please forgive me Lord for taking my eyes off the cross. Help me remember that I am just a vessel to carry out your blessings and not look to people for what only you can give me: peace, love, and satisfation that I have served you not them.

Tricia

25 Feb 10 at 8:40 am

3. Boy did this message hit me today. I have been so caught up in my own self-pity this week that I have just been angry. I just realized this morning that I have been angry because I give and give to some people, but they don’t reciprocate. They never help me in my hour of need, include me or even show their appreciation. I have forgotten the most important thing of serving – to give and let God receive the glory. God will bless me and not people. Please forgive me Lord for taking my eyes off the cross. Help me remember that I am just a vessel to carry out your blessings and not look to people for what only you can give me: peace, love, and satisfation that I have served you not them.

Tricia

25 Feb 10 at 8:43 am

4. I agree with tricia-I have been so wrapped up in my own self-pity, that I haven’t been able to see the truth. We are to glorify God through helping others, and to not expect the person we help to pay us back. We are to depend on God to help us-not man! God has given me all I need, therefore, I don’t need help from man. God will provide, if I do my part, He will do His part! I am so sorry Lord! Please forgive me, and teach me how to trust You for my needs!

Deborah Butler

25 Feb 10 at 9:36 am

5. This reminds me of a newspaper article from years ago and has stuck with me. Two Dallas police officers stopped a car for a traffic violation. They discovered a family who were living in their car. Even though, the officers had the right to issue a ticket; instead, they accompanied the family to a grocery store and bought them food. When the husband/father asked how he could pay them back, their response was by doing the same thing for someone else some day. You want to talk about public servants and great examples of showing God’s love.

Bill

27 Feb 10 at 6:29 pm

6. Hi Phil , i watched the movie the cross played by Arthur Blesett , excellent , aTBN movie , now out on CD . Arthur Blesetts door opener is , can i pray for you , it works little risk if you think your being led by the Holy Spirit. One of our biggest fears is the fear of rejection , risk . Acts 1:8 says once the Holy Spirit comes on you , you will receive power , boldness . I am of a full gospel church and think there are a few things that come into play when receiving boldness , or to risk . We do believe in the evidence of speaking in tongues and for me it was a confidence builder , there is more . We also believe in receiving the Baptism of the Holy Spirit the same way we receive salvation , by faith . Acts 1:8 also says power , Jesus says i do not give you a spirit of fear but of power , love and a sound mind , that implies a evil spirit of fear is coming against us when we go to witness , risk . Knowledge of truth comes against that , greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world . I have herd folk with a bold witness that did not speak in tongues . Knowledge of the full truth is important to calculciate risk . Pride can also come into play , its not about me , its not about the person , we risk rejection for , it is about Jesus , it is a risk , He is worth it , if we lose , pray for the person , both win . John 10:3 & 10:27 says my sheep hear my voice , it seems we get better with practice . I also noticed the deciples recieved more boldness after seeing Jesus resurrected .If your in the mall and see a person sitting on a bench rubbing a sore foot there is little risk they would refuse prayer , if they say thank you , ask them if they have been born again , if they say no , say i would like to lead you to the Lord now herb ph# 6162992910

Herb