Deliver Us!

A simple reading of Romans 8 or Genesis chapters 3-11 make clear that we live on a fractured planet. Life as God intended it to be for us is more than a little off center and we are the ones who made it crack and turn askew. But we had help in messing up what God so carefully and graciously crafted for us. We still have that same hellish help to ensure that our world is more than a tad warped and broken.

When we face times of trial, when the fractures of our world break our own hearts and crush our own hopes, is often when we can see Jesus come to us in our storm if we will only look for Him and ask Him to join us in the storm (see Matthew 14:22-33). Jesus taught His closest follower — and us as well — to pray, “deliver us from the evil one.” And in Jesus, we believe that this victory was ultimately secured, but the ultimate moment of realized deliverance hasn’t fully arrived for us so we keep praying the Lord’s Prayer and ask for that deliverance again and again. You see, “the evil one” of whom Jesus’ speaks, is a bit like an awful jack-in-the-box. After a few turns of our broken world, “the evil one” pops back out and leaves his hellish mark. So we pray:

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come, your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us  today our daily bread.

And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.

And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.

For yours is the kingdom and the power
and the glory forever. Amen.

But in addition to praying for deliverance, we also extend Jesus an invitation to join again in our storm and bring us to Himself. I talk about this in my heartlight.org article this week, Riders in the Storm. I encourage you to read that article and also look at the questions which follow.

At some time in each of our lives, we are all going to find ourselves as riders in the storm. How are we going to handle them?

• What are some of the storms you have faced in your life?
  • So when you were in your storm, to whom did you turn for help?
  • Did you trust Jesus to come and meet you in your storm even though you weren’t aware of his presence at first?
  • Will you look to Jesus in your future storms instead of focusing on the winds and the waves?
  • Will you take risks to find Jesus in your storms, even if those around do not?
  • And if you fall in your storms, will you cry out to Jesus to save you?
  • Do you think it is sometimes necessary to go through storms to discover that the presence of Jesus in your life is real?

October 8th, 2009 at 1:08 am

8 Responses to 'Deliver Us!'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Deliver Us!'.

1. thank you , iam actually going through the storm , in fact , storms . but one thing that i have always been aware was in the end i will be a victor . the good thing i know now is Jesus can actually meet with me in the storm and help me out , i thought he was away to teach me a lesson and would only come when He thought i had enough . iam being struck left right and centre , please God come and meet me , take me out of these storms and land me on better ground . i love you Lord and i trust in you. AMEN

meves sivara

8 Oct 09 at 4:33 am

2. I have been struggling in my business for the last 3 years and some of it actually almost reach me but just like a cake drop on the floor. I close deals to find money withheld and unpaid. I owe an amount and until now unable to pay back. All the shares I bought are either taken off the board or way below the price.
    I ask GOd to give me a breakthru and I know it will come for He says that He is the one who gives me power to create wealth. I dont know how long I can hold on to my faith as its been a long time and I see my family relationship souring. Sometimes it’s tiring to wait.

Brenda

8 Oct 09 at 7:08 am

3. please pray for me

Brenda

8 Oct 09 at 7:09 am

4. I have 4 Children, the last 2 ( Laurie= age 15 downs syndrome and Josh age 11 = Autistic). I have struggled with my Autistic son. About a month ago Our church puts on a camp for parents of Autistic kids in the mountains called Friends of Angels. When I got there I took Josh to the cafeteria and he started to go after other folks plates of food. I had to get him out of there. When we went back to the cabin, I was thinking this was a mistake. However the caretakers came and i was relieved to find that one of them I knew and had been working with Autistic kids for 11 yrs. That freed me up to go to the group sessions. I found wonderful people leading the group and they recommended a book ” Whale Done” to read. I bought that book and it was extremely good for me as basically it is about accenuating the positive, ignoring bad behavior and getting my child to refocus. I was good for two weeks with my son after reading that book. Then I went back to my old ways. Then I realized that I have to pray for Josh, Read appropriate scripture and go back to Whale Done to get pointers. But i struggle with putting god first in my life each day. So that is why I’m writing this this AM to start the focus. Thanks Rick

Rich Cummings

8 Oct 09 at 9:09 am

5. It took several storms in my life before I finally realized Who was helping me through and out of them. I do, at times, still lose my focus – gazing instead at the crashing waves around me. I think, like Peter, when I start sinking far enough, I finally remember to cry out to Him.
    The storm I am in now has been a long one. Recently, I again lost focus and starting fearing the waves. I can say today, however, that while my circumstances have not changed, my attitude has… I have remembered the various other storms through which He has safely seen me and my confidence and hope is renewed that He is present in this storm and will see me safely through!
    Thank you for your thought provoking article! We are told to ‘remind one another’… and articles such as this do remind us of Him and all He has done for us, collectively and individually!

Donna

8 Oct 09 at 9:11 am

6. I am in a storm with my husband. He was recently diagnosed with a cancer that is not curable, but treatable. We don’t doubt God being with us. I’m just not sure what that means in real, daily living terms. He may or may not have times again when he feels well. God doesn’t give us those assurances. We will be able to handle this. We have no choice. We are supported by friends, family, the American Cancer Society, your message today in Highlights. We have been provided everything we need and more. I am at peace.

Diana

8 Oct 09 at 11:59 am

7. Regarding your message. It makes me think of Casting Crown’s song “Praise You In This Storm.”

My two most recent storms were my dog getting bit by a copperhead snake and a tree falling on our house.

With the copperhead bite, we had to take her (the dog) to the vet, and her right leg was very swollen. We thought we might lose her, or that she could lose the leg. I went out in the dark 2 nights later looking for the copperhead with a flashlight. I found it and shot it. Then, the next day, I was clearing out the rocks next to where I found the copperhead and found another one and killed it. I faced my fears and the Lord gave the victory.

When the tree fell on our house, it was by some men doing tree removal for us. They were not charging and didn’t have insurance. It was an opportunity for me to show mercy and to hold on to Romans 8:28, believing that God would bring good out of it somehow.

Mike Barres

\o/ Praise Him

Mike Barres

8 Oct 09 at 1:39 pm

8. I have been through many storms in my life. Without my faith in God and Jesus, I could not have endured. My biggest dificulty was (and still is at times) learning to let go — and let God handle what I couldn’t. “Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference” became my mantra. I use it still when I find myself trying to “control” some storm I am in. Another thing that I remind myself of is that God is Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnipresent: All/Ever Powerful; All/Ever Knowing; and All/Ever Present. What have I to fear? I am in Christ and One with Him. Christ is One with God, so I am One with Both of Them! I know I will face more storms in my life, but I know God is in control, Jesus is with me always and the Holy Spirit dwells within me. At times I still take my focus off Jesus during storms in my life and begin to sink as Peter did, but I find I reach for help much sooner now than in the past. Knowing Jesus is Ever Present gives me His Peace that defies comprehension.
    The storms of life come and go just as the weather changes with the seasons. Faith, trust and dependence on Almighty God and Jesus our Redeemer is all we need. May God bless you as you face the storms of your life and keep your eyes on Jesus.

Brenda Terrell