Community for the Homebound

I received several responses from homebound folks in email and on the blog on Monday about the article, Made 2BN Community. Most of these folks were aging or had concerns for loved ones who were less mobile. They wanted to know how they could be community or share in active community under these conditions.They are looking for help, for answers, and for a way to stay connected to the people of God.The best way to get a flavor for these comments is to check out their comments here:

Community and the Homebound

So we all are looking for ideas on how folks can stay connected when not able to get out of the house and be with brothers and sisters in Christ they love. We would all love to hear your thoughts!

January 14th, 2009 at 6:45 am

Posted in BLOGSTUFF,Heartlight

Tagged with

57 Responses to 'Community for the Homebound'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Community for the Homebound'.

1. My situation is unique. I have been injured by DDT and mercury. I am chemically sensitive to what people wear on themselves and on their clothes. I can not tolerate perfume, cologne, aftershave, deodorant,scented laundry detergents, dryer sheets or any scented products of any kind. So if others wanted to visit or I invite them they’d have to come fragrence free. It’s a lifestyle change that does not leave much room for socializing unless it’s outside and upwind.

23 Jan 09 at 6:53 am

2. Take the service to them! Maybe some folks from church would be willing to have service with them at their home.

Rogette Bickerstaff

25 Jan 09 at 9:18 am

3. Hey Phil
    Just thought this was great! I’ve never seen one your guys ask for input. I read your pieces looking for answers to my questions. This is cool!

I’m a 56 year old woman who may be facing this dilemma one day. I pray Jesus returns before that happens but my answer to this person’s question is very simple. Community means community. My in laws are 84. We visit them. Take them out to eat, etc. They are still mobile. My father in law is on a walker and has difficulty on some terrains so I feel he will be homebound soon. Their local church provides visitation to the elderly and the sick. Jesus didn’t try to do it all. He said, “Go and make disciples of all men!”. These disciples have families. A strong family unit takes care of each other.

Local church communities need to bring fellowship to the homes of the home bound. It’s simple. The elderly have the same needs as a teenager. They will miss their friends. I don’t know how many times my kids said that to me. “I want to see my friends!”. That could be old or young. Parents let their kids have friends over. Kids let your parents have friends over! It’s role reversal. The kids provide for the elderly parents. The parents provided. Now it’s the kid’s turn. The parents of the church provided for the kids, now it’s their turn to provide for them. Simple! Just do it! No lip service or good intentions. ACT!

Your sister in Christ

15 Feb 09 at 6:37 pm

4. Phil,

After reading your post, I wanted to chime in. There are others out here with similar problems. For instance, I am a single Mom of a disabled little boy. His disease is debilitating and prevents us from mainstream activities like Sunday morning fellowship. Because it’s almost impossible to make special accommodations for him at church, we are forced to reside at home and communicate with the saints via phone or email. It’s difficult because we seek to be there but no one seems to understand or care that we are “on the outside looking in”.

Respectfully Submitted,

15 Feb 09 at 6:43 pm

5. While helping others is Christianlike, you can not help people and serve God if there is no one to be helped. Sometimes being in that community is being open to accepting help from others. This is not as easy as it seems. When you have been helping others all your life, it is difficult to start accepting that help, and there is a lesson there.

Also their are areas to serve when you are homebound. The quick thoughts are babysitting, sewing, mending, or just being a grandparent to a child in need.

15 Feb 09 at 6:46 pm

6. Our local church (for context, I will allow it to mean a building where people meet to “have church”) has amassed a few brothers and sisters (not members) over the years, who can no longer assemble with us. We identify them as our “homebound” disciples.

We have a very special group of ministers, deacons (or any other label you want to add) that put together monthly devotionals, church information, prayer concerns, and the like for them; and then at the first of the month they go to them. We have others that will fill in the gap with phone calls, visits, and cards.

As I have told them many times, they are not to worry (fret) over the fact that their bodies will no longer assist their spirits in getting them to a place they want to be (the building we identified earlier as ‘church’). When the people can’t get to the church…the church (brothers and sisters in the faith) goes to the people.

Just this past Wednesday evening, our time of gathering for prayer and praise, I put on the board the following, “Church – a community of connected people, who share a common passion and who have a common destination.”

A family that operates from the blueprint God provided will stay connected!

May God add His special grace to these words and bring clarity to the discerning heart.

15 Feb 09 at 6:53 pm

7. Perhaps the lady whop is 87 years old could have people come to her and have church in her home. As church is not the building but the people who meet there. I remember years ago when I was involved with an organization called PrayerGroups for Schools (parents etc) praying for their children in school. There were a group of elderly Christian women in senior living community who were encouraged to pray for students in the high school near them. A young church leader would drop in and see them and give them prayer points – they felt they were doing something useful and the students benefited from their prayers.

Community is where a group of Christians meet wherever. I tell the students I teach religious instruction to that the classroom is a church when we are learning about the good news of Jesus.

Thank you for the many words of encouragement you send out.

In His wonderful love Sue