Off to Uganda?

My Monday article in Heartlight this week talks about an upcoming trip to Uganda with Compassion International in February. I want to ask you to please take a look at the article and please be in prayer for efforts to get at least 500 children sponsored as a result of this trip!I’d love to hear back from below in response to several questions related our the trip:Do you sponsor a child with Compassion or some other group and what led you to do so? How has the experience been for you?Will you pray for Phil’s trip and the effort to get 500 children sponsored?Do you have any questions about this you would like answered?Does your church sponsor a ministry that helps children trapped in poverty or dealing with the AIDS epidemic leaving so many of them orphans?I’d love to hear back from you on this project!

January 13th, 2008 at 11:04 pm

10 Responses to 'Off to Uganda?'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Off to Uganda?'.

1. Phil,

I am very excited for you! I’ve been to Africa several times on short term missions trips, so I know all about the shots and malaria meds, etc. It’s all worth it, though.

My husband and I just signed up to sponsor some kids in Uganda through the World Help/Children of the World organization. This is the first time we’ve done this sort of thing, so I don’t really know much about it yet. We could have sponsored kids from several places around the world, but the ones we ended up with just happened to be from Uganda. We are excited to begin to establish a relationship with these children. We would love to meet “our” children someday, too.

I will be praying for your journey and for your partnership with Compassion International as you seek sponsors for these 500 kids. What better way to spend a dollar a day than to help a child in need. It’s important, too, that these organizations teach the children about Jesus and what God did for them through His Son. I’m excited about being a part of that! :)

Blessings,
    Sheila

Sheila

14 Jan 08 at 7:40 am

2. Phil, my parents have been to Africa many times. They bring doctors, dentists, pharmacists, etc. with them. They are 76 and 80 and started this as a senior short term missions and although they are not sponsored through their church, they started their own non-profit and it has been hugely blessed. They are so touched with what they see when they go. The Lord prepares these people when you pray in advance. God bless you and especially His will be done here and all for His glory and His kingdom.

Holly Garcia

14 Jan 08 at 10:06 am

3. Phil,

I’ll be praying for you on your trip. However I can’t loan you an arm. I can’t reach that far….

Blessings
    Becky

Becky

14 Jan 08 at 1:09 pm

4. You will be in my thoughts and prayers during your Uganda trip. My granddaughter, Erika Ross, has been to Africa twice, once to Kenya where she taught school for 10 months and then last summer as part of her physicians assistant training. Erika worked with doctors at clinics in Uganda. She has a heart for medical mission work in Africa and graduates in April with a P.A. Degree. I am excited that you will be able to go there.

God Bless,
    Saundra

Saundra Perkins

14 Jan 08 at 5:14 pm

5. We have been sponsering a child thru Compassion for several years. Many blessing have come; hearing from the children; sharing in their Christmas giving program, etc.
    Our prayers will be with you as you go to Africa.

Nell &Charlie Hege

14 Jan 08 at 7:10 pm

6. Hi, be blessed. I went on my first short-term missionary trip in November for two weeks. Our group went to Port Au Prince, Haiti, one of two of the worst poverty etc. conditions in the world. The children, in particular, really broke my heart. Our first day, a 24-yr old mother brought her 4-yr old child to the pastor’s house and ‘gave him away’ because she could not look out for him. Another child there was literally found on a garbage dump, where part of his fott was eaten by rats before he was found. In the orphanage, at a church service, a little one kept touching me, feeling my hair, etc. (I guess I am one of the first white people she has seen. She is about 4). i patted my lap and she reached out her arms to be picked up and wrapped them around her. She just wanted to be loved and hugged. It broke my heart. The conditions there are horrendous, yet the people make the best of what they have. I never thought I would see running sewage drains, garbage thrown in the streets of the city or being being burned. It was an ‘eye-oipening’ experience. Despite it being so short, I learned to love the people there and would go back as Father God leads. They are so needy, yet we ‘need to teach them how to fish’ for themselves and not always being the ‘provideers of the fish.’ A big difference.

Andrea

14 Jan 08 at 7:49 pm

7. I will be glad to pray for your trip to Africa in February. But you cannot have one of my arms because I have to get 3 allergy shots every other week. Sorry.

Our church (Mt. Zion United Methodist in Bel Air, MD) sponsors an orphanage in Namibia, Africa for AIDS orphans. And now we hope to sponsor a second one in Uganda. A lot is starting to be done for these orphans in Africa.

Birdie

Birdie

14 Jan 08 at 10:00 pm

8. yes, I’m praying! I sponsor four children through Compassion the first one because I felt I should be contributing to the solution to poverty the next three because it’s very addicting!

Amy

14 Jan 08 at 10:18 pm

9. Good Morning Phil,
    I am ,and will be, Praying for you, and, your trip to Uganda,,God, is using you in such an AWESOME Way,,, *Children every where*, need us to guide them to our Lord,,,, ( the devil is moving so fast to destroy so many young souls) we all need to step up and help in any way we can,,, Our Lord will keep you safe,,, I am on my way to your sponsor site right now,,, God Bless you &your Family,,,,your sister in Christ,,, Trisha

Trisha Herom

15 Jan 08 at 9:40 am

10. Africa! How wonderful! I have always wanted to go there. I will pray for your trip and your influence there. Most importantly I will pray for the sponsorship of the children in need.

I have 15 sponsor children through Children International that all started with one child a decade ago. I had no home church at the time but felt that I should be tithing my money somewhere. I saw a late night add on tv and then I was hooked from there. I have had a few children quit the program but more of them have grown to adulthood and graduated.

The letters that they send me are a wonderful gift of love and I feel like they give me more than I give them. Thanks be to God that I can share what He has given me.

Godspeed,