Psalm 1: Blessed!

Blessed are those
    who do not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
    or sit in the company of mockers,
but who delight in the law of the LORD
    and meditate on his law day and night.

They are like a tree planted
by streams of water,
    which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither –
    whatever they do prospers.

Not so the wicked!
    They are like chaff
    that the wind blows away.
Therefore the wicked will not
stand in the judgment,
    nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous,
    but the way of the wicked will be destroyed.

Psalm 1

\o/ — Comments Psalm 1: Like a tree planted by streams of water! — \o/

So we begin! Psalm 1 is one of two introductory Psalms for the whole collection. This introductory Psalm is focused on our commitment to seek God’s will in His truth. There we will find his blessing and our happiness.

As we read and meditate upon Psalm 1, we are called to recognize our constant thirst for the presence of God and how this presence not only nourishes us, but brings refreshment to others. Our seeking of God’s way opens our hearts to see His watch-care over us.

This Psalm challenges me to follow the path Jesus’ beattitude: Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for for righteousness, for they will be filled (Matthew 5:6).

Do I hunger for God, His righteousness, and His presence? Do I recognize my thirst for God’s truth, character, will, and holiness?

These questions not only convict me, but they also pull me back to the Messiah, who promised: Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them (John 7:37-38).

O God, draw me to Your truth. Fill my heart and my head with your Word. Refresh my soul with your presence. Challenge my values and take control of my ethics with Your will. Please use me to bless and refresh others. In the name of the one Who is the Living Word. Amen.

Now what is your response to Psalm 1?

January 1st, 2008 at 1:14 am

8 Responses to 'Psalm 1: Blessed!'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Psalm 1: Blessed!'.

1. Puts a big smile on my face!!!!!!!!
    It is a beautiful thing to know how god is most powerful and loving.

miguel garcia

12 Mar 08 at 2:40 pm

2. Ps 1 is one of 3(4) theme verses in our Man2Man prayer group (actually Ps 1:1-3). The others are Micah 6:8 and 1 Cor:15:57-58 + 1 Cor 16:13-14.
    They provide such a great anchor and foundation!
    [the NKJV version is my prefernce for memorization]

We open with the group reciting Ps 1:1-3 and Micah 6:8 together to level set us on how we ought to be conducting our lives. Then, launch into our sharing, discussion, prayer requests and (the main reason we gather) prayer. Then, we close with the 1 Cor:15:57-58 + 1 Cor 16:13-14 verses to gird up until the next time we gather. It has been a life saver for me and others!

Curt Barber

18 Mar 08 at 2:57 pm

3. it points out where i’m coming up a little short.

Gary Humfleet

5 May 08 at 9:05 am

4. Phil, I don\’t know who you are, but THANKS and God Bless you. I have put your site in my favorites.
    God os so… good!!!

Ale\'

30 Nov 08 at 5:41 pm

5. Phil,
    A friend shard this website with me, and I am so glad she did. “Blessed” is powerful and a wonderful gift from God. Thank you for allowing God to bless you to bless others.

Sheila

17 Dec 08 at 10:42 am

6. Thank you for sharing Gods Word. In the beginning was the Word. Jesus is the light of the world. Jesus is the Word!!!!

Eileen B

25 Dec 08 at 9:19 am

7. Hi!
    Just wanted to let you know how much I love your writing. I had subscribed to your Heartlight devotion from http://www.crosswalk.com – and for some reason it doesn’t send me e-mails anymore, even though I tried to subscribe again using other e-mails, and my mornings just seem weird without spending an hour reading the approximately 20 devotions I had subscribed to…which I guess is a good thing since I’ve been busy lately, but I did love reading your devotions and found so many messages that I read “at the right time” – if you know what I mean, it seemed like something I just needed to read at that moment.

But now I found your blog (I research you online) – and I am glad to find a place where I can study more of God’s Word. Thanks again :)

Chelsey

6 Jan 12 at 1:08 pm

8. Hello again,
    I just read your whole blog here just now – and it was great :) – Just recently I have been diving more into God’s Word – although not much by myself, I usually read other devotions to help me out. But I do have a list of a bunch of things I want to start investigating for myself, and I keep a copy on my computer of all the articles that I find helpful since I have found that they personally applied to me (well I am sure they personally apply to a lot of people). I hope to one day write an additional blog, or a book…not sure…for devotions dedicated to people living with a daily illness. I founded a support group on Facebook for people and their loved ones who live with a life-changing illness, because I noticed that a lot of people in my other support groups seem to lose hope because of their illness.

Anyways, thanks again for sharing. I really want to be a stream by that water for God. When I wrote my blog, I didn’t know if I was reaching much people or not, and in the title, it is dedicated to people with an illness (HOPE = helping other patients everywhere) – but then I found that other people, even without an illness, have enjoyed reading it, and that helped me feel better about blessing and refreshing others.

Thank you for your words – they are very refreshing to me. :)

Chelsey